Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My black lab has a red, what looks like a blood blister, on his right hind leg. Is it poss

Customer Question

My black lab has a red, what looks like a blood blister, on his right hind leg. Is it possible that it is a wasp bite or something?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Can you upload a photo of that skin lesion to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I uploaded it. Can you see it?
Yes, thank you! That appears to be a histiocytoma - a benign collection of mononuclear cells derived from epidermal Langerhans' cells - great cocktail conversation, huh...These are common tumors in dogs younger than 4 years of age that come up quickly, reach a certain size and then crumble away unaided within 6-12 weeks. It's reasonable to simply "watchful wait" these because they're of cosmetic importance only. Those that don't disappear on their own (uncommon) can be surgically excised or treated with cryotherapy.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So you don't feel there's a sense of urgency for it to be seen in a vet's office?
Correct. I'd simply watch it go away on its own. If you become worried, histiocytomas have a characteristic appearance microscopically and so are easy to confirm when a needle aspirate of the tumor is examined either by Biscuit's vet or our pathologist.
Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Hi Georgette Robinson,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Biscuit. How is everything going?