Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Sunni (5 month old female Golden Retriever) was car sick yesterday

Customer Question

Sunni (5 month old female Golden Retriever) was car sick yesterday after giving here Dramamene (which has worked for her), Seemed find once not in car, today drooling, and left eye is slightly swollen. Head feels warmer then usual. Is a little listless and very quiet.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think this was a bee or wasp sting; the drooling has subsided; the lower area under the eye remains swollen. I am icing it -- should I do anything else
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
Has the swelling subsided?
Does she still seem nauseous? Any further vomiting?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No drooling -- swelling area is larger (about 1 1/2 inch long; about an inch wide underneathe the eye) but she is moving around more; not eating or drinking. I just gave her some Dramamene in peanut butter to take her to the vet. Very disappointed this has taken so long -- maybe I should have taken her last night -- maybe not at all because it may go down on its own. Please tell me what you think.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She has not vomited through this episode -- I think that had to do with motion sickness that day. Also , as said, drooling has stopped, Question would be -- will the swelling go away with time or does she need some sort of antibiotic or medicine to help? If not, should we even take her to the vet if there is nothing that can be done.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you,
Again I do apologize that none of colleagues were able to assist you when you posted your question. Still since it is a wee bit unclear, did you already or wish to see your vet and would like me to refer you to customer service for a refund?
Or do you still wish for my input on Sunni's situation?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry -- I would think my last question in the previous paragraph answered your question that I am still seeking advice to determine what should be done -- vet no vet? what. Please I need help right now or last night.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She has started to drool again a little. No vomiting.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please refund my money. My vet will open shortly. I am taking her; I can't wait another hour or two for a response. Thank you for your time.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,
The reason I asked is because your two statements appeared contradictory. And if you were preparing to take him in to your vet, you may prefer to defer to them for further information. Therefore, I asked only to ensure that I was following what you wished.
So, I am grateful for your clarification and I do suspect that all of her signs are related to an allergic reaction and this is why she vomited in the car despite being pretreated with the Dramamine.
Now if this has not settled overnight and she still has underlying nausea, then that does need to be addressed for her. Since she is not actively vomiting, you can try treating her nausea and get her eating by using an antacid to settle her stomach. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are:
* Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx#.VGJLgsn9XPg) or
* Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac/page1.aspx)
These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if your wee one has a pre-existing condition or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.
Once that has had time to absorb, you can consider starting her on a light/easily digestible diet. If you do so, start with a small volume (a spoonful) to start. Examples would be cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases of gastroenteritis (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. The aim of the easily digestible diet is that it will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until she is settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.
Now in regards ***** ***** swelling, we can address that once her stomach is settled with the above. The reason is because further to warm compressing an allergic swelling, we can treat them with an antihistamine. But the reason we do this second is because some of our antihistamines can cause stomach upset on their own if the stomach is already unsettled. Therefore, once she is a wee bit more settled with the above, you can start her on a low dose of Benadryl (Diphenhydramine). You can read more about its use and the dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl . And this can just reduce the effects of a sting to help it to settle.
Overall, her signs are most suggestive of an allergic reaction that was likely related to an insect sting. Therefore, we'd want to take the above approach at this stage. Of course, if she was too nauseous to keep these down or very depressed, then you can consider following up with her vet for injectable treatment to settle her stomach and reduce that swelling for her. And while less likely with your history, the vet can just make sure that the swelling isn't an abscess (which is what we'd use antibiotics for if present).
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )