Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog has acute lower back pain. I gave her Rovera and a

Customer Question

My dog has acute lower back pain. I gave her Rovera and a prednisone this a.m. These meds were prescribed by our veterinarian. The pain must be severe because she cannot get comfortable at all. She has panted all afternoon, and has occasionally whimpered when trying to get comfortable. She is just so antsy. Could I give her a Benadryl capsule to help reduce the anxiety. We will see our veterinarian tomorrow, but I'd like to do something today to help her in the meantime. Thanks for any suggestions/help you can give me.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting.So sorry to hear Willoughby is in discomfort, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. Your vet has got the pain relief covered with the Rovera { Carprofen } and Prednisone, there is nothing you can add here. 2. However Benadryl does have some sedative properties and this could possibly help settle her down, there would be no problem giving it with the above drugs in terms of drug interaction etc. A typical dose rate would be up to 2 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight given orally twice a day. The judgement whether to dose your dog with Benadryl is of course up to you, but where I give clients information about drugs or dose rates I like to supply a link so that they can check the accuracy of the advice I have given and read contraindications etc. : LINK I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like reasonable information. Thanks for your help.
No problem, very glad to have advised you ... Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hi Sarah,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Willoughby. How is everything going?