Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Dog is vomiting hours. tried chicken and rice but still

Customer Question

dog is vomiting for 24 hours. tried chicken and rice but still thru it up. Vomits with in 10 minutes of eating. Sipping water occ. 11lbs no diarrhea don't think he has stooled today abd soft non tender not voiding much not acting like himself sleeping a lot.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Leo. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
Is he drinking, and able to keep water down? The first thing I do for a vomiting dog is take away the food for 12 to 24 hours, and offer clear fluids only like water, broth, or Pedialyte. If you are worried about hypoglycemia, low blood sugar ( this normally does not happen in dogs in 12 to 24 hours), you can give a little Karo syrup.
If he keeps the fluids down, and has not vomited for 6 to 8 hours, that is when I start to offer the small meals of boiled chicken and rice.
If you look at his gums, are they pink in color? If so, that is a good sign. If his gums look pale, that is a reason to take him to his veterinarian.
You can also try giving Pepcid AC (famotidine) for vomiting. He could take 2.5 to 5 mg twice daily.
There are many reasons, dozens or more, why dogs vomit and fortunately most are not serious. If stopping solid food and giving Pepcid is not helping him, then I would have him checked by his veterinarian when they open after the holiday.
Let me know how he is doing and what else I can answer or help with.