Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog just ate 3 nauzene tablets she weighs 11 lbs it has

Customer Question

My dog just ate 3 nauzene tablets she weighs 11 lbs it has aspartame on it
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now good news for Jackie, Aspartame is not toxic to dogs. It is Xylitol that is the dangerous artificial sugar for ours dogs. So, this is not a toxic situation for her.
Therefore, we do have a few options for her. You can choose to induce vomiting to make her bring these back up, administer activated charcoal or just monitor her while passes through her system over the next 24 hours.
To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster -- just we want to give it orally and get it into her. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get her to walk about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing the ER vet so that the vet can administer apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) to just get this out of her stomach and avoid any issues.
Alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much she absorbs and reduce the intoxication risk here.
Overall, this is not the toxic artificial sugar, so there is no worry here. Therefore, you can use the above to block her absorbing these tablets but otherwise just need to monitor her at this stage.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )