Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

WHAT CAN YOU GIVE TO A THREE YEAR OLD BEAGLE WHO HAS DIARRHEA.

Customer Question

WHAT CAN YOU GIVE TO A THREE YEAR OLD BEAGLE WHO HAS DIARRHEA. SHE WAS SICK AND HAD TO B TAKEN OFF HER REGULAR DIET AND GIVEN (PER VETS INSTRUCTIONS) WHITE RICE AND CHICKEN. SHE SEEMS TO BE HER OLD SELF AGAIN EXCEPT FOR THE PROBLEM WITH DIARRHEA. WE ARE CURRENTLY GIVING HER THE OLD DIET AGAIN (PURINA ONE) A LITTLE BIT AT A TIME MIXING WITH THE WHITE RICE AND WHITE MEAT CHICKEN.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Muffin. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
How much does she weigh? You can give Pepto Bismal, or Imodium. If you tell me her weight, I can give you the dosage. For an example, if she is 30 pounds, she could take 1/2 tablespoon or 1/2 caplet of Pepto, or 1 Imodium, every 12 hours.
It may help to give her probiotics, beneficial bacteria supplements. I like the ones for dogs, like Fortiflora or Proviable. These are available without prescription.
Let me know what else I can answer.