Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog ate 4 socks

Customer Question

My dog ate 4 socks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How long ago?
How is he just now?
Can he keep water down?
Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?
If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only saw him swallow one, but two guests were wearing those small stretchy socsk for flat shoes and he grabbed one and when I approached him to take it away he swallowed it whole. Then we couldn't find the other 3 so we think he ate those too. It was almost 1 hour ago. He doesn't seem to have any pain or discomfort when we touch his belly. He kept playing aferwards. He was drinking water just now. His gums are pink and they seem to be moist.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now since we know he ate at least one sock, we do need to tread with care. Socks are one of those items that some dogs can pass, but others cannot. And if he may have eaten more then one, we do have a serious risk that this could cause a blockage.
Since he may have had the most recent one (and potentially the others) within the last few hours, I would advise that we need to consider inducing vomiting at this stage. The reason is because if they are still in the stomach, we may be able to get them out. That said, if they were large and possibly more then one, then this would be best done by your local vet. That way if he were to have any complications or obstruction issues, they could address them and/or remove the socks via endoscopy (using a scope with a camera to remove them from the stomach). But if you wanted to induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster -- just we want to give it orally and just get it into him. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get him to walk about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing his ER vet. Especially as they can administer apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) to just get these out of his stomach and avoid any adverse issues.
Otherwise, if that is not an option, we'd have to try and encourage the socks to move the other way. Now I do have to say that since he is a small breed, the risk of intestinal blockage from more then one sock is a real worry. And if this did occur, he'd need surgery to remove them. Therefore, we need to keep a very close eye on him. Red flags of trouble or obstruction include restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, anorexia, pale gums, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood). If you see these signs, then having him seen would be best so his vet can palpate his belly +/- an xray to see where everything is and whether it will pass on its own.
Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** to encourage the socks to move down the gut, we will often put these dogs on a light diet. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep his stomach settled. Whichever you choose to offer, you can also add some fiber (ie a spoonful of tinned pumpkin or all bran) to the food to try to push the socks through the gut. As well, you can also add a GI lubricant (ie cat hairball medication Miralax, lactulose or food grade mineral oil). These can help get things moving for him and hopefully pass this material.
Overall, based on Benito's history and his size, we do need to tread with great care here as a blockage is a real worry. Since it is, it would be ideal to have your local vet see him now. They can safely induce vomiting or remove the socks with their endoscope to avoid any risk. Otherwise, you can choose to carefully induce vomiting at home (but he'd need to see the ER vet if he did have a complication/throat obstruction from this) and/or use GI supportive care to help the socks pass the other way. But in any case, we need to keep a very close eye on him for those potential signs of blockage. Because he we see them or he does develop a blockage, he may need surgery to get these socks out of his gut.
Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ :
http://www.vetlocator.com/.
http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193
Please take care,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Adriana,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Benito. How is everything going?

nekovet