Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I 'm Fawz my husky puppy is having blood clots in his stool

Customer Question

hi, I 'm Fawz my husky puppy is having blood clots in his stool with white mucous looks like gelatin. Took to the vet almost every day . He puts on IV with antibiotic and flagyl which is intestinal antiseptic and anti protozoal. We go home he is ok and the next day we go back to the same problem. Very frustrated and the vet is not telling exactly what is wrong with him. Appreciate your help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
I am very sorry to hear that Casper has not responded to the Flagyl, as it is quite good for colonic bacterial infections and some of our common GI protozoa (like Giardia). This would have been a reasonable treatment to use since the signs he is showing (blood and mucus) are highly suggestive of inflammation within the colon.
Still, in regards ***** ***** can cause these types of signs, we can see this with bacteria (our colitis inducing bacteria but also Salmonella, Campylobacter, etc), protozoa (like Giardia but also coccidia, cryptosporidia, etc), worms (ie whipworms), and we can see it related to inflammatory colitis (which can be a dietary sensitivity issue). And while less likely with your history, we can sometimes see blood and mucus in diarrhea related to viruses (ie rotavirus, parvo, etc).
In this case, if his signs have recurred, it would be best to submit a fresh fecal sample to his vet or directly to your local vet lab. This can be analyzed for the above concerns and tell you what is causing his colonic inflammation. Depending on the findings of this test, your vet and yourself will be able to target treatment effectively to clear this for him.
Finally, I would note that while the results are pending, you may want to consider putting him on a light diet that will be better tolerated by his gut. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). These can be fed as small frequent meals to reduce strain on his gut while you are awaiting results and direction for treating.
Overall, your vet's treatment was reasonable for the signs Casper was showing. Still if he hasn't responded, we do have to think about these other potential culprits (some of which require narrow spectrum treatments to clear). Therefore, do consider having a fecal sample tested so that you can identify what is there and treat this effectively for Casper.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your reply I will take the sample for the lab
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,
I am glad that I can give you a plan of attack to help get to the bottom of his wee mystery.
All the best,
Dr. B.