Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Have a dog about 35pds that is diabetic had a little scuffle

Customer Question

have a dog about 35pds that is diabetic had a little scuffle with another dog and had a small wound on his back which bled for avery short time this happened about 4 days ago and it scabbed up now he rubbed his back on the carpet and it is bleeding again any suggestions
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. Sometimes with diabetic dogs wounds can take a little longer to heal, but the situation can often be handled with normal common sense means despite this. 2. For example you could apply a poultice to the area with warm salt water for at least five minutes twice a day for a few days. An easy way to do this is to soak pads of kitchen towel in luke warm salt water and hold them against the area of the wound. You may need to change them three or four times to hold the heat. Then apply gently dab the wound area dry with clean kitchen paper and apply the likes of Neosporin. 3. Of course if the wound does not resolve or markedly deteriorates then you should seek hands on veterinary help as in some cases prescription drugs such as antibiotics may be required. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.