Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My small dog just ate a bit of aluminum foil -- how dangerous

Customer Question

My small dog just ate a bit of aluminum foil -- how
dangerous is this?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.
The answer to that depends on how much was eaten. The aluminium foil itself will not cause a toxicity so the aluminum is safe. However if the aluminum was a large quantity or a ball, not just little pieces it can act like an obstruction just like a toy, rock or stick, etc. So if a small amount was eaten we have nothing to worry about, if a large amount was eaten then watch for repeated vomiting and abdominal discomfort. If you see those symptoms she needs to see the vet right away. If no problems in 2-3 days we should be safe. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan