Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 7 yr old weimaraner was bitten multiple times by a copperhead

Customer Question

My 7 yr old weimaraner was bitten multiple times by a copperhead this morning between 9am & 9:30am. We got him to the vet between 10 & 10:30 am -not our normal vet, they are closed because it is sunday- we waited another 45 mins before the vet came in to see him (that was only after I stepped out of his room and asked how much longer it was going to be) the vet came in and checked his heart rate and preceded to tell us what she wanted to do - she did not even check him for how many bites, or anything else, never checked him out except to listen to his heartbeat. They sent us out to the front desk to pay while they got his meds ready. After we paid the bill they FINALLY came in at 12 pm and gave him a shot for pain and a antibiotic shot. By this time his leg and foot was so swollen and he had started to bleed from one of the bite areas on his leg next to his chest. He was laying down and wouldnt get up - they had to pull him up.
We could not afford $2000.00 for him to be kept overnight so they sent us home with a prescription of antibiotics and pain meds. We received no instructions on his care except to give him his meds every 8 and 12 hours.
He has been bleeding quite a bit from the one bite site but not the others - my question is why is that site beeding and not the others? And how do I know if he is loosing too much blood? What is normal? What should I be watching for and when should I be concerned? At what time / symptom should I take him back to vet? Please help!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear this happened to Max. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
The best way to monitor if he is losing too much blood is to check his gums. If they look bright pink, that is a good sign. If his gums are pale, he is going into shock, or is losing too much blood.
He may be bleeding more from the one wound, because it hit closer to a blood vessel, or is deeper.
I would monitor his breathing. If he has to pant to breathe, if he can't breathe through his nose, I would go back to emergency. If his gums look pale, take him back.
Will he eat? That is a good sign if he will.
I hope the worst will be over soon. Let me know how he is doing, and what else I can answer.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sharon,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Max. How is everything going?