Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I am trying to remove porcupine quills from my dog's mouth.

Customer Question

I am trying to remove porcupine quills from my dog's mouth. Am wondering if Benadryl or oxycodone or flexeril (what I have on hand) will work to help relax him
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear about your dog and the porcupine. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
Do not give Flexeril, it is not safe in dogs.
Benedryl is for allergic reactions, may not help much with quills. It does not usually make dogs very sleepy. You could try it, it is safe to give 1 milligram per pound of body weight. How much does he weigh?
Oxycodone may help with the pain, but won't make him very drowsy. The dose for pain is .5 milligrams per pound of body weight.
Even giving both oxycodone and Benadryl may not be enough to remove quills from the mouth. I usually sedate these dogs heavily, with an IV injection that can be reversed when I get the quills out.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I just realized the dose I gave you for oxycodone of .5 mg per pound, is actually the dose of Oxicontin. Which do you have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I actually just removed all quills. What a good dog :) Thank you for your help. I will monitor for infection. Am thinking may give loading dose of amoxicillan? I have 500 mg tabs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or may just let it ride...
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
That IS a good dog!
These do not usually get infected, I do not usually do antibiotics.
You would give a 50 pound dog 500 mg amoxicillin, but if he were mine, I would just get the quills out.
Let me know how he is doing and if I can help with anything else.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! He is a German short haired pointer. Around 50lbs..? Only one of the quills bled. I'll just let it go. I checked mouth, throat, gums. Looks like all clear. I hope he learned a lesson .. not likely! :)
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I have seen dogs get quilled more than once. If he were mine, I would not give the Amoxicillin.
Let me know what else I can help with.
Kindly consider rating my answer. Let me know how he is doing.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?