Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 6 year old GSD have lost about 20 lbs and has diarrhea or

Customer Question

my 6 year old GSD have lost about 20 lbs and has diarrhea or spasms. I treated him with Doxycycline and Flagyl. he seemed to perk up after the treatment but now has the spasms back and has stopped eating
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you tell me, please, where on your dog you're seeing spasms? Was a diagnosis made by his vet which then prompted doxycycline and metronidazole (Flagyl) to be prescribed?
Any GSD who has lost 20 lbs, is diarrheic and now anorexic must be considered critically ill and should be hospitalized under critical care until the results of diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests and X-rays or ultrasound are returned. His symptoms are important but not pathognomonic (specifically indicate) of any one disorder; hence, the need to perform a thorough diagnostic work-up.
Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.