Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

We have a miniature Daschund. Active - 2-3kms a day on the

Customer Question

We have a miniature Daschund. Active - 2-3kms a day on the beach.Today we walked 10kms and he swam, dug, ran and when we thought he needed a break we stopped or carried him. He was spirited right to the end and then he just vomited and collapsed. It's been 6 hours and every time he drinks just a but- he tries all thhe time, he vomits and the goes back to a weak, very weak state. He hides - out of character, in dark corners and is almost lifeless. Temperatures are cool to warm in all environments but he does nor seem to be recovering...please some diagnosis, not loads of advice on what we should have done. What do we do and when is it essential to see a vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Max this holiday weekend. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
If you check his gums, are they a normal bright pink color?
Could he have eaten anything he shouldn't? Did he drink much sea water?
If he drank a great deal of salt water, he could have salt poisoning. If I could, I would do a blood test and see what the levels of sodium and chloride in his blood stream are, and if they are too high, he would need fluid therapy to get the numbers back to normal.
I recommend taking him to a vet if his gums are not a normal pink color ( deep red or very pale would concern me), if he continues to vomit and cannot keep any water down ( he will get dehydrated if the vomiting continues and he can't drink).
I would try offering fluids in very small amounts. If he can keep down a few laps, wait awhile and then give him a little more. If he can't hold down a couple of swallow of water, then I am very concerned and would recommend taking him to a veterinarian.
He may just need some fluids, and an injection to slow the vomiting. I hope he is doing better soon. Let me know what else I can answer or help with, and how he is doing.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nick Ochse,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Max. How is everything going?