Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

We recently adopted 2 English dogs. we have an

Customer Question

Hi. We recently adopted 2 English bull dogs. we have an old english already. The 2 came to us from a young family who had them since both. Male 5 Female 7 Old English 6. The family advised that the dogs needed to go because they fought each other fairly regularly and as they had a 2 year old and 8 month old they could no longer comfortably keep the dogs. As they had been together they wanted to keep them together.
While we were prepared for the fighting I am struggling a bit with how we can control it,
They are together 80% without issue but will suddenly and aggressively go after each other.
The Old English is now inserting herself to break them up which is causing more concern
Outside of separating and crating wondering if you have any suggestions on what we may need to do to stop the fighting
Is it the nature in multiples for them to fight
Primary issue is between the 2 while my dog gets in the mix o stop the fights neither go after her
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
It is not unusual for 2 dogs in the same household to develop subtle territory issues between them to cause this fighting...try these tips:
1. Purchase a DAP Collar (Dog Appeasement Pheromone) at the pet store. This is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will decrease anxiety. Rescue Remedy is also helpful.
2. Carry a coke can with pennies in it and when you see this aggression starting, shake the can loudly and say a strong NO!
3. Only have them together when supervised and feed separately for 1-2 weeks to decrease anxiety.
4. have your vet examine both dogs checking for a medical cause such as hormonal issues or metabolic problems that could cause this. If this is ruled out, ask your vet for an anti anxiety medication such as Clomicalm or Reconcile that will decrease the anxiety that is causing this.
5. Consider contacting a veterinary behaviorist that can help Bella past this. This LINK will find one near you. www.dacvb.org
6. Take both Mack and Ruby back to a good obedience class so you will have better control over them.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****