Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 12 year old Cocker Spaniel has late stage congestive heart

Customer Question

My 12 year old Cocker Spaniel has late stage congestive heart failure and one of the medications my veterinarian has perscribed is Furosemide 50mg which I give him 2x day. I ran out of Furosemide and can't get it refilled until Tuesday as this is Memorial Day weekend. I take Hydrochlorothyazide 12.5 mg for my blood pressure. Can I give it to my dog until I can get his perscription refilled?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear you are out of Riley's furosemide. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
Hydrochlorothiazide is not much used in veterinary medicine, but I did find a dose. How much does he weigh?
Is there an emergency clinic open near you? They might be able to dispense some for you in this situation. They might be able to contact your veterinarian and get permission to dispense some. My local pet ER has my contact information for things like this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Rebecca,
Riley weighs about 40lbs. Yesterday and this morning I gave him one of my 12.5 mg capsules of Hydrochlorothyazide. I just wanted to find out if it would harm him. I will get his Fursoemide refilled tomorrow. He wheezes quite a bit and I was just trying to help him until I could get the refill. He seems to be doing okay other than the wheezing.
Thank you. Dennis
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the update.
A dog his size would take 15 to 60 mg of hydrochlorothiazide, so you could increase it if you think it is helping.
Let me know if I can help with anything else.