Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My girl schnauzer has been crying out with a screech when either

Customer Question

My girl schnauzer has been crying out with a screech when either picked up by her stomach or when she trys to jump up on the sofa.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- How long has this been going on?
2- How old is she?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
4- Is she on any medications?
5- Any other symptoms?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It just stared 4 days ago, she is very healthy, a little overweight, 5 lbs, on no meds and no other symptoms. She is eating fine, having regular bowel movements and urinating fine, and is 9 years old.Not fixed and still has her nipples.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, what you are describing is consistent with neuromuscular pain. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Back pain as a result of either a pinched nerve or pulled muscle, hip pain (arthritis), etc. to name a few causes. This is what you can do:
1- Rest her; no running or jumping for the next few weeks.
2- Aspirin 81mg 1/3 of a tablet every 12 hours with food for 1 week.
3- Cosequin (glucosamine) at label dose long term. You can buy Cosequin over the counter in any pet store.
4- If no significant improvement within 1-2 days of doing the above I would have her checked by family veterinarian for a hands on examination.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter