Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 6lb dog drank some alcohol last night and was stumbling

Customer Question

my 6lb dog drank some alcohol last night and was stumbling all over and pacing. He's a little better than last night now but still not better. Does he need to see a vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How much did he have?

What % was it?

Does he seem weak, dull, or mentally depressed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are not sure. He was sipping out of a cup that was left on the ground. It was a captain and coke.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Heather,

Now if we are not sure how much of a dose he has had and he is still this severely affected hours later; then I have to say that I am quite concerned. Because while the signs in mild toxicities will often subside as it works through their system, prolonged signs support the worry of severe intoxication. And this can impact the nervous system, cause dehydration, can lead to breathing depression, damage the liver, and could cause metabolic acidosis in the blood.

Therefore, in this case, it'd be ideal to have him seen at this stage. His vet can determine how severe his levels are and start IV fluids to rehydrate him and flush the alcohol from his blood.

Overall, if your lad is still showing signs this long after ingestion, then we'd have to be wary that he has had a high dose of alcohol. And with him being older, possibly having an aged liver, and being so small, it'd be ideal to have him seen to address this and avoid any harm.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check HERE and @ http://www.vetlocator.com/.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Heather,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet