Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My dorkie has a white blob sticking out on the inside corner

Customer Question

My dorkie has a white blob sticking out on the inside corner of his eye. It almost looks like a tick but it's very white and isn't getting any bigger than a small grain of arborio rice. It's painful and won't let me near it. It's not swollen around it.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question. Can you take a picture of it and post it for me to see?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have pics on my phone. Can I text it to you?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Per site policy, I can't receive personal texts. Can you download them to your computer and then send them? Does it by chance look like this?
http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/CherryEye.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it's white, smaller and not in his eye.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I email it to you? It's on my phone.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
There should be a paper clip icon here to attach it to. I can't give out my personal email per site policy. You could email it to***@******.*** and they will forward it to me - but sometimes this can take a little bit of time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you get it?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Awesome job on the photo! It is very clear and Henry provided a very still subject! Let me look at it closer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's a front view.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
That "blob" is definitely not associated with they eye like you said. I wish I was right there to more closely inspect it. It definitely has the initial appearance of being a possible tick. They can have ticks attach and when they engorge / feed on blood, they can swell up in their abdomens and look very, very much like this. Sometimes it is very difficult to see the actual legs and head to confirm this as it is at the point of attachment and this can be obscured by the swollen abdomen. If you could see the head and legs, then it would confirm a tick. If you can't see them, it could still be one. What else could this be? Some can get sebaceous growths that will form, but they usually aren't as raised as this. What I'd put out as my recommendation is to have your vet evaluate it, they can determine if it is a tick and if it is, remove it. If it isn't a tick, then can they aspirate it with a needle to see what the specific cause is? Could it just need to be lanced and drained? Maybe it needs to be excised? It doesn't look like an emergency situation that needs rushed in this weekend. I'm very curious to see what the end result is!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, I can't afford a surgical procedure right now.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
This honestly doesn't look like an aggressively urgent situation. If this wasn't there here until recently, a tick has to be of high suspicion. If it is a growth / sebaceous issue, it isn't that critical. It is something you could give some time to and see what happens. I wouldn't place anything on it at this time as more than likely it will do more harm than good - if some gets into the eye, it could be very irritating to that surface.