Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have a miniature poodle which has a bit of constipation just

Customer Question

I have a miniature poodle which has a bit of constipation just wondered what I can use to get rid of this from the chemist
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for requesting me, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. If Buster is constipated you may want to try oral remedies such mineral oil { Liquid Paraffin } which is an over the counter product available from your chemist or pharmacy to relieve your dog's constipation, this type of product is very gentle and safe. The dose rate for a Miniature Poodle would be in the region of 1 ml twice a day orally through to six ml twice a day for a standard Poodle. A small syringe you can also pick up at the pharmacy would be a good aid in administering this product. 2. On a home remedy basis one of the things that might help is canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling, this is a gentle stool softener for dogs which makes it a good natural remedy for constipation. You could try one teaspoons twice a day for a very small dog through to two tablespoons twice a day for a large dog.3. But be aware that there would be two kinds of constipation in the dog, the first would be a simple or primary constipation which happens now and again and is not related to any disease process and may be related to feeding, it will often quickly respond to the above common sense sort of treatment. 4. But dogs can appear to be constipated on a secondary basis for other reasons such as bowel obstruction or other diseases, this of course is rare and you would usually see other signs related to this situation. But for this reason if the problem persists or other symptoms appear you should consider having a vet check your dog over sooner rather than later. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hi Iris,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Buster. How is everything going?