Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Diabetic dog taking 8cc of humlin a.m. & p.m. threw us this

Customer Question

diabetic dog taking 8cc of humlin a.m. & p.m. threw us this morning before eating, I did not give her shot, she had no interest in food and continues drink water. I got her to eat a small amount this evening and gave her 4 cc for her evening shot. I am concerned about her loss of appetite.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
I am so sorry to hear that your Daisey is not feeling well. I am glad to hear she ate some ham but unfortunately it is not the best choice for her. Because it is high in salt and fat it can upset her stomach but also increase risk of pancreatitis as well. I will give you some basic guidelines to stimulate her appetite and reduce her upset stomach but if this is not improving it would be pertinent to have her seen by a veterinarian to ensure there is not something else causing her symptoms besides simple gi upset
1.) Begin with pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours or prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg per pound daily starting about 30 minutes before next feeding
2.) Feed a mixture of white rice and boiled lean meat such as chicken, turkey, beef, bison that will stimulate her appetite yet be bland for her stomach to handle. Feed small frequent quantities at first, perhaps 2 tsp hourly and if she is showing interest and no nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass) nor vomiting increase the volume while reducing the frequency over the next few days. If continuing to do well transition her to her regular diet over the next 3-5 days
But if she continues to have reduced or no appetite and / or vomiting then please have her seen. As you already know being a diabetic makes her much more prone to other medical conditions and so treating her aggressively if this continues or progresses is key to preventing her from taking a downward turn in her overall health.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both tonight.
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hello I wanted to check in on you and Daisey this morning to see how she is doing?
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!