Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Can I give my dog lorazapam so I can remove porcupine quil

Customer Question

Can I give my dog lorazapam so I can remove porcupine quills?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. Lorazepam belongs to the same class of drug as Valium and in the human is indicated for the management of anxiety disorders. It is not available as a veterinary product but is used successfully in the dog " off Label " by some vets for reducing anxiety regarding fireworks for example and for sedation. It is regarded as having a high margin of safety in the dog.For the treatment of anxieties and sedation a dose rate of 0.1 mg/ per kg of your dog's bodyweight given orally twice a day might be used by some vets. [ 1kg = 2.2 pounds ] 2. If there are just a few quills you may be able to remove them by grasping them one at a time with a pair of pliers near the point where the quill disappears into the skin, then pull it out with a quick, powerful tug. This will be painful for your dog but just for a second and then it will be over. After you have done this apply the likes of Neosporin to the resultant small wound twice a day for a day or so. 3. However where a dog has lots of quills you would be better to let a vet handle it, and you should also contact your vet if there is any sign of infection over the next week or so. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hi Chris,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Gracie. How is everything going?