Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

My 1 year old pitbull is bleeding from mouth. Just noticed

Customer Question

My 1 year old pitbull is bleeding from mouth. Just noticed her teeth are black. She is an inside dog.
Vets are close right now coz of the weekend. Is there something i can give her at least to sustain her till the weekend?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. Can you see from where the blood is coming? Does she have any visible cuts or swellings?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looks like it is from the gums. Tho i think it os really worse coz i can see red spots on her tummy and pupils in her eyes..
Her poop is dark too, so internal bleeding? I just bought her the pedegree in can food. She still eats it slowly
Thanks for your reply. She cannot clot her blood and she is bleeding out. She needs to get to the veterinarian immediately!
She may have eaten rat bait about 3-5 days ago, or she has decreased liver function, or she has a low platelet count. You vet needs to support her while she determines what has caused your dog's severe bleeding problem.
Without this veterinary intervention you dog will die.
I'm so sorry!
Dr. Barbara
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What can i do for now. Since vets are close till tuesday?
Emergency veterinary care is available. You can look for an emergency veterinary hospital in your area, or you can call your vet's office and they will have voice mail telling you how to get emergency care.
There isn't anything that you can do at home, and if you wait I fear your dog will die soon. She is bleeding out, and will become so anemic that she will not survive.
Again, I am so sorry!
If money is an issue, you can apply for Care Credit which most vets offer. This is a quickly evaluated credit and most people are approved. This is an interest free credit for about 6 months usually, and will allow your emergency vet to treat and hopefully save your dog's life.
Dr. Barbara
I have been so concerned for your little girl all day and wonder what has happened for her?
I'd like very much to know. .. .thanks,
Dr. Barbara
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi! Thanks for asking... she is still here... we walked her outside for a little bit coz she really wanted to.
I still haven't brought her to the vet, coz im working and the only vet that is open for emergency is 1hr away...
Ill bring her first thing in am....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hope she still ok by then... id br so devastated is passes away...
I tried to request to be cancelled tonight, but it wasn't possible. ..
Thanks for your response.
I hope that she is still OK by tomorrow too. Please get her to your vet first thing in the morning, and please let me know.
Thank you, *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Barbara, thank you so much for the concern I've been meaning to message you but there was so little time coz i need to rest for my work again tonight. Anyways, i brought her to the vet today, u were right about the urgency of the situation. The bleeding has stopped in the morning but she was too weak already, she will not come when called. She refused to eat also. According to the tests, she has zero platelet and her hematocrit was 10% Only. She was negative on the rat poison but positive on tick infection, which surprised me coz she is always up to date ( im using bravecta every 3 mo. )... Anyways, the Doc ordered blood transfusion and some antibiotics.. so we left her in the clinic.
It was a good thing you advised me about the pet care. I got approved and that's how i was able to go ahead with the treatment , otherwise , i don't
know where to find over 1000 $ for the fees.
Maria
Maria,
I know that all of this is so difficult for you with your busy schedule, but so thankful that you contacted us and did her to a vet with the aid of Care Credit. It sounds like she is in good hands, and hope that the emergency care is helpful and ultimately the tick disease infection is cured.
I hope I continue to hear from you about your little girl.
Dr. Barbara
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will! Hopefully tomorrow i can pick her up already
That will be the best news!!!!!!
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Barbara
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Barbara,
Hi! We picked her up from the vet yest. She is doing perfectly now altho the doc says she still not completely out of danger. Her platelet is still low.
But is more active now and she just keeps on asking for food. Its a good thing tho coz she has lost a lot of weight. ..
Maria. . .that is the best news!!!
Make sure to discuss with your vet there the best way to repel and/or quickly kill the ticks. He/she will know what is working well in your area.
I was so worried about her, but now can breathe a big sigh of relief! Thanks so much for letting me know.
Dr. Barbara
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I really appreciate your concern Customer its nice to know i wasn't the only 1 worried about her...
she is happier now, i saw her playing with my little terrier again, this morning .
Maria
I was very concerned as you could tell! I am so happy to get your good reports! Wonderful and amazing really that she even wants to play! She had a close call!
Good luck with the tick prevention. You might have run into trouble if it was a Lone Star tick that bit her. Bravecto only prevents infestations with these for 8 weeks, so you should give her Bravecto every 2 months. . .if these are in your area. Your vet will know.
Thanks you so much for the update!
Dr. Barbara