Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

My little Yorkie will not hse her right rear leg at all. I

Customer Question

My little Yorkie will not hse her right rear leg at all. I took her to the vet Monday and they did not find anything wrong with her. The prescribed MELOXIDYL (Meloxicam) and directed me to give her an 8 pound dose once a day for 7 days. So far she has not given any signs of improvement. She will not let the left rear leg/foot touch the ground.
Is ther any type of Vet Specialist in the Biormingham, AL area that I may take her to for a more intensive examination and/or treatment?.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. Sorry to hear that Lola has a sore right rear leg. A general veterinarian should be able to examine Lola thoroughly and if needed take some x rays. If the Meloxidyl hasn't worked by now, then it is time for your vet to recheck Lola. If your vet is unable to diagnose Lola thoroughly and effectively, then your vet will refer you to a specialist.
Do you have a recheck appointment for Lola on Monday?
One thing you can notice is if Lola is excessively licking at any part of her leg, or if there are any swollen or reddened areas. Letting your vet know this would be very helpful.
I'm happy to look online for specialty veterinarians in Birmingham, but you may not need to go to this added expense. Also, your vet will know the best and closest specialist that he/she has worked with in the past. Just let me know if you'd like me to look.
Dr. Barbara
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have an apointment with my vet on Monday but I am planning on a return visit Monday. LOLA is not licking her rear leg at all. The Vet examined her verry well last Monday and did not mention any swollen or redened areas. She took two x rays and the only thing she said she noticed was that two vertebrae in the middle of her back was close together. Otherwise Lola was in perfect health but she will not use her right rear leg.
Thanks for your response! The narrowed disc space in the middle of Lola's back could indicate that she has reduced neurological function to her right rear leg, but this wouldn't cause her to hold it up. It would cause her to drag the leg.
Did your vet do a range of motion check on Lola's joints (hip, knee, ankle and toes)? Did she press her femur (thigh bone) and tibia (below the knee) to evaluate for bone pain? Did she look thoroughly at Lola's nail beds and in between her toes? Did she also check for joint laxity in Lola's knee to see if her patella is loose or misplaced or to see if her cruciate ligaments in her knee or torn or severed and causing knee laxity?
Also. . .was Lola allowing your vet to freely examine her? Did Lola have any sedatives for the exam or x rays? Not to disparage Lola in any way. . .she could be the sweetest dog ever! but if a dog is fearful and not allowing a good exam, this could be why the cause of her lameness wasn't found.