Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My 25 lb pug just injestep a water softener salt pellet. Morton

Customer Question

My 25 lb pug just injestep a water softener salt pellet. Morton brand. Is there something I can do or must she go to Vet. We are traveling away from home.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
If this has been within 2 hrs of ingestion, the best thing to do is to induce vomiting by following these instructions:
Give 5 teaspoons of peroxide and wait 15 minutes. If no vomiting, then try it again. You can do this 3 times safely.
These can cause a serious digestive disturbance due to the high amount of electrolytes and calcium which is in many of these products. REmoval of this is very important. After this, provide fresh water to help dilute out anything that may have passed.
A large amount of salt can cause a Hypernatremia that is very serious for your sweet Mindy. If it has been longer than 2 hrs, take her to your ER vet if possible.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mindy. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta