Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years of veterinary practice in small animal medicine
18324312

My 15 year old maltese has a perenial hernia he is experiencing

Customer Question

My 15 year old maltese has a perenial hernia he is experiencing discomfort and pain and is unable to sleep... I'm taking him to a "walk-in welcome" vet clinic in the morning. Is there anything I can give him now to help him.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob. I apologize for the length of time this reply has taken to get back to you. Your question arrived very early this morning and I just now came online to find it. I'm sorry too, for Ruffus's condition. You can give him one adult aspirin per 30 pounds, or one low dose (81 mg) aspirin per ten pounds bodyweight. This should be given with a small meal. Applying hot wet compresses, using a washcloth and a pan of hot water, keeping the compress hot by repeatedly dipping in the water for ten minute sessions as needed, can be very soothing. The water should be dishwater hot -hot enough so you can comfortably put your hand in it, but warmer than lukewarm. Hopefully Ruffus will soon feel better and you can get him to the veterinarian for follow up care. If you should have any further questions, please let me know.
Kind regards, Dr. Bob
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hi Melissa,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ruffus. How is everything going?

Dr. Bob