How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jadedangel57 Your Own Question
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 18946
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
jadedangel57 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog just eat chocolate covered raisins. what do i do

Customer Question

my dog just eat chocolate covered raisins. what do i do
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 1 year ago.
JaCustomer,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
I'm so sorry no other expert chose to answer your question before now. It is too late to induce vomiting but let me give you the information on chocolate so you can see if she is having any symptoms of chocolate toxicity though I think you would have noticed by now.
Chocolate contains theobromine, which is what causes the toxic response. Items such as cookies and cakes will have less actual chocolate in them, so you will have to make an estimate in the amount of chocolate that may have been in the amount of cake, brownie, or cookie your dog may have ingested .
Signs of theobromine toxic poisoning should appear within 1 to 4 hours of ingesting the chocolate. These include vomiting, increased thirst, diarrhea, weakness, difficulty keeping balance, hyperexcitability, muscle spasm, seizures, coma and potentially death from an abnormal heart rhythm.
The following websites will give you’re the approximate amounts of chocolate that you will need to worry about based on the size of your dog and the type of chocolate. Consult this page to determine if a toxic amount has been ingested.
http://www.vspn.org/Library/misc/VSPN_M01325.htm
http://www.beaglesunlimited.com/beaglehealth_chocolatetoxicosis.htm
There is also an interactive chart available as well here:
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2007/10/pets/chocolate-chart-interactive
Since it has been quite some time, if you have already seen vomiting or other symptoms, I'd have her seen by your vet. However, the raisins also pose a threat. Dogs that have consumed large quantities of grapes have developed kidney failure. Here is a link to a site, which talks about this.
http://www.uexplore.com/health/GrapesRaisinsAndDogs.html
The ASPCA study showed that as little as .15-.32 ounces per pound could have a toxic response. You can read more on this here:
http://www.aspca.org/site/DocServer/McKnight-Tox_Brief-Feb_VT_05.pdf?docID=3782
Treatment is frequently I.V. fluids at 1 ½ times the maintenance amount and monitoring the kidney values for a few days. So you will have to continue to monitor her for a several days looking for increased thirst, more urination, and vomiting.. Some dogs do not have any problems, but others do, so we always need to monitor them.
I hope this information is helpful. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.