Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My 7 week old puppy is straining a little to poop anything

Customer Question

My 7 week old puppy is straining a little to poop anything I can give him
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.
Hello there. I am sorry to hear about Tuck and his difficulty having a bowel movement. I am happy to help you this evening. You have to be very careful with what you use in puppies his age. You do not want to cause any stomach discomfort or diarrhea. The best thing to start with is canned pumpkin. This is very gentle and works well. I would feed him 1/2 teaspoon of canned pumpkin without any spices at his meal and see if this helps. You can increase up to a teaspoon and should see some softening of his stools. This works pretty well usually and is very gentle. If this does not improve his stools discuss some prescription options with your vet to help prevent diarrhea or stomach cramping with over the counter stool softeners. But the pumpkin should definitely help.
I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time.