Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Ona stroll along the beach, my dog just consumed a # ***** "by

Customer Question

ona stroll along the beach, my dog just consumed a # ***** "by the wind sailors" similiar to
a jelly fish - Of couse this is the holiday weekend - i can't find any infor on this on line
regarding consumption of them - do you know?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Tehyia consumed a number of "Wind Sailors" and I understand that you are concerned for her.
I want to make sure that we are discussing the same creature. Is the picture in the link below represenative of what she ate?
http://www.netartsbaytoday.org/assets/images/By-the-wind-sailors-2.jpg
If so the good news is that these aren't true jellyfish, but rather a close relative. They are less toxic than real jelly fish. However they do still have the ability to sting, albeit a milder one, and they can still cause gastrointestinal upset, including drooling, esophageal irritation, nausea, lack of an appetite, vomiting and diarrhea.
I don't recommend inducing vomiting only because they are irritating.
I do recommend that you leash her on any further beach walks and not allow her to eat any more.
The good news is that she is a bigger girl too, so that should help.
To try and settle her stomach today you can try either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle her stomach.
Then feed a homemade diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat and 2/3 boiled white rice. Add 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber to help push the pieces through.
If she starts vomiting, has a tense painful belly or refuses to eat or runs a fever (more than 103F rectally) then that can signify a blockage or more serious irritation and burns and she should be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tehyia. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara