Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 65 lb goldendoodle ate an Always infinity maxi pad. Should

Customer Question

My 65 lb goldendoodle ate an Always infinity maxi pad. Should I be concerned or just watch him to make sure it passes?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he eat this?

Did he eat it whole or tear it to pieces?

Any vomiting?

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He just ate it in the last 15-20 minutes - not sure if he tore it up or ate it whole but he usually rips stuff up. He drank some water and seems ok.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, Ann.

Now if he has just eaten this, then the pad will still be in his stomach. In that case, you can consider inducing vomiting just now. This would be ideal at this stage since getting and or all of the pad out via his mouth would avoid the risks we will have to monitor for if this were to need to pass to get out the other end.

Therefore, to induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster -- just we want to give it orally and just get it into him. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get him to walk about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing his ER vet so that the vet can administer apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) to just get this out of his stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

Otherwise, if we cannot do that for any reason, then we need to consider his ability to pass this. And I have to say that these situations are always concerning ones where we need to tread with care. The reason is because while the pad is soft and unlikely to cause direct damage to the gut, it could possibly cause a blockage as it passes through the intestines.

Still, if he can keep water down, has no vomiting, has good gum color (since pale gums would be a hint of GI damage and bleeding) and doesn't seem painful in his belly; then you can choose to monitor him closely and try some supportive care to encourage this to pass. Of course, if that changes at all, then we'd be in an urgent situation and would want him seen.

Now I do just want to note the signs we need to monitor for as we encourage this pad to pass. Red flags of trouble or obstruction include restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, anorexia, pale gums, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood). If you see these signs, then having your vet feel his belly +/- an xray to see where the pad is and whether it will pass on its own.

Otherwise, while monitoring we would want to start him on small meals of a light diet. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Whichever you choose to offer, you can add tinned pumpkin or use all-bran (good fiber sources) to push this pad through the gut. Further to this, you can also add a GI lubricant (ie cat hairball treatment, Miralax, lactulose or food grade mineral oil). These can help get things moving for him and hopefully pass this without complications.

Overall, situations like these always require us to be on our toes and tread with care. If he just ate this, you can induce vomiting now. Otherwise, since he is showing none of those worrying signs, then you could alternatively consider the above steps for him while keeping a close eye. But if you see any of those other signs or want to err on the side of caution, then having him examined +/- x-rayed would be ideal so you can appreciate how far the pad has moved already.

In this situation, if at any stage you do wish to see an emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ann,
I'm just following up on our conversation about 2 Yrs. How is everything going?
Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He threw up on his own about 20 minutes later Smile, looks like it all came up. Thanks.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome and thank you for the update, Ann,

I am glad to hear that he brought it up, since that is a best case scenario in situations like this. Hopefully, he has learned his lesson and won't eat such things in the future.

Take care & have a great day,
Dr. B.

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)