Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Recently my dog was tested disease. The tests

Customer Question

recently my dog was tested for cushings disease. The tests came back negative, but, her blood pressure is elevated and she has way too much protein in her urine, .16.
My vet suspects that she does have cushings, in that 6% of dogs can show a false negative, but, to give her cushings medication without a confirmed diagnosis could be potentially injurious. So........right now she's on a prescription of Apo Benazepril 5mg, 1/2 tab per day for 2 weeks, then she will have another urine test, to see if there's any change. Do you concur with this, or is there another course of action?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
Does she have any of the other signs of Cushing's? Has your vet discussed an abdominal ultrasound to evaluate the adrenal glands for enlargement?
Signs of Cushing's:
Bloodwork elevated Alkaline Phosphatase and often an elevated ALT
Clinical Signs: increased water intake/ urination, thinning coat and skin, increased panting, swollen abdomen, increased appetite often breaking into cabinets to get food, weight gain, lethargy
If an ultrasound has not been done then it would be something I would be my next step, done by a veterinary radiologist often at a specialty center. I agree I would be hesitant to start medications for Cushing's disease if the only sign is the increased blood pressure and proteinuria. There are many causes of both besides this disease and I would be looking into other possible diagnoses if the ultrasound is negative or inconclusive.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions today
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am going to be away from my computer for a little bit but will return this afternoon to see if you have responded with additional questions or comments. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!