Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

HMy dog is a female 2 yr old golden reteriver very active

Customer Question

hMy dog is a female 2 yr old golden reteriver very active no health issues yeaterday she was fine when she got up had her dog food went outside in fenced yard did her business .We then went out for ride etc Later afternoon while I was getting ready for work she was laying on my bed and started to dry heeve.. She then jumped off bed and vomited.I checked it and it looked like all dog food.She does eat anything she sees so that is why I checked it for something foreign she may of eaten in the yard. She seemed lateer to be a little laid brselfack not so active What alarmed me was she later was lying under my chair for a minute and got up cuz she wet herself.She immediatedly got up cuz she knew what happened I put her out in the yard later and she went to the bathroom and her stool looked fine not soft and not a different color Last nite she was still a little under the weather but no acidents I make sure she drinks a good amount of water This am I fed her and she is usually a chow hound but she only ate half but did take a dog biscuit when I let her in from outside from doing her business. Im just concerned on the wetting espidode I can understand vomiting cuz she will eat anything if she sees in in yard etc and she has never had any health issues
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- Is she spayed?
2- Is she urinating more frequently?
3- Is she on any medications?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes she was spayed 1 yr ago No problems No medications and she is urinating normally
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, when a dog leaks urine involuntarily it is called "urinary incontinence." The most common cause for urinary incontinence in female dogs is a weak urethral sphincter (structure that holds the urine in bladder). This is not a life threatening condition, it is very common and treatable. If the episodes become frequent we start the dog on a daily medication (proin) that acts directly on the sphincter making it stronger and preventing the incontinence.
Other possible causes could be urinary infections, bladder stones, neurological, etc. Unfortunately, not much I can recommend for you to try at home. She will need to be seen by your family veterinarian, your vet may run some test like a urinalysis and +/- xrays to rule in a weak urethral sphincter. Once she is started on the medication the episodes of incontinence or urine leakage should stop. Follow up with your family veterinarian.
As far as the vomiting this is what you can do:
1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.
2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- If she continues to vomit after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Hi Eloina,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Narla. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter