Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I asked some questions about our Chihuahua, she is 58

Customer Question

Hi I asked some questions about our Chihuahua, she is 58 days pregnant the last few days she has gotten much larger but looked like the puppies have dropped down her stomach is very hard as a rock she is laying on my chest and whimpering is she in labor?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
Any signs of contractions or discharge/mucus at her vulva (as those are our major signs of labor)?
What is her rectal temperature?
Is she uncomfortable?
How are her stools, appetite, and thirst?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Temy is 100 I assume very in comfortable Because she is laying down and whimpering she had scrambled eggs but but doesn't want to drink only a little water her stool is still soft,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure about contractions but her stomach is rock hard
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now her temperature has been within that pre-labor level (98.6-101*F) that we usually see in those final 24 hours before the pups arrived, but none of the signs she is showing really support active labor. If the pups have dropped down further and she is very distended with them, it may be looming close to that time. Still we'd expect to see some nesting behavior, contractions, and/or fluid/mucus being passed from the vulva.
Still if she is uncomfortable and not eating/drinking properly, then I do think it is worth having her checked. We don't want her blood sugar getting too low nor her getting dehydrated (Just to note you can try to boost her blood sugar if you are worried it is low by rubbing glucose/pancake/karo syrup or honey on her gums). Both could lead to a failure to develop milk but also isn't good for her. If she is seen by her vet, they can treat the soft stools if you haven't used those supplements we discussed before. They can also scan her belly to make sure everything is normal and the pups are fine. If there is any worry or they think she is going to have an issues giving birth, then a c-section may be advisable.
Overall, based on the signs you noted, they are not convincing of labor. But if she is acting uncomfortable and feels poorly, then we would be safest having her checked. The vet can make sure all is well with her pregnancy and treat the loose stools to ensure we avoid any complications for Neeyna
Please take care,
Dr. B.