Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog ate a bumblebee. He brought it in after he went out

Customer Question

My dog ate a bumblebee. He brought it in after he went out so I didn't know what he was chewing on--but I immediately tried to sweep his mouth to get him to stop. I discovered I had the head and back in and some of the hard shell. He started coughing--like it was stuck in his throat. I gave him some bread to try to wash it down. About 15 min. later he threw up twice. Then he started licking the floor--not where he threw up, and going around the baseboard looking for insects I guess--or anything he could find. This was not typical for him. I watched him for about another 30 min. Took him out but he just wanted to eat anything he found on the ground--not typical. We came back in and he was licking the floor. I gave him a little bit of his regular food which he quickly ate. He drank a little water. He threw up again about 10 min. later. He was pacing around, but finally crawled into his bed. He seems to be quiet now. Are we OK?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten to fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. If he is acting normally and is quiet now then I would very much doubt if you have anything to worry about, it sounds to me as if he was stung in the mouth and the sort of behaviour you saw would be fairly typical of this due to the discomfort. 2. Bee stings in a dog would be like bee stings in a human. In most cases there would be a little pain and swelling but that would gradually disappear over a period of a few hours even with a small dog like yours. A very few dogs suffer allergic reactions which can be dangerous particularly in the mouth due to the resultant swelling but this does not seem to be happening with Bandit.3. If symptoms continue then I am aware that many owners use Benadryl in this situation and it would be a logical thing to do. A suitable dose rate would be 1 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight, twice a day given orally. Read more on this HERE 4. Of course if the symptoms do not subside or you note any deterioration then you should have him checked over by an ER vet without delay but hopefully this will not be necessary. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the bee incident.
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.