Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My yorkie's water broke about four and half hours ago and still

Customer Question

My yorkie's water broke about four and half hours ago and still in labor, it's this normal
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your girl has been in active labor for 4 & 1/2 hours with no puppies being born.
If you mean that she passed fetal membranes and fluids and she has been pushing this whole time with active contractions then she needs hands on veterinary help immediately. This is not normal.
All of us like to help and give suggestions for things to try at home if we can, but in this case Catie's condition is too critical to try and manage at home.
Has she had an ultrasound or radiographs so that you know how many puppies she has to deliver?
She needs to see a veterinarian as soon as possible. This is too much time elapsed between starting labor and not seeing any puppies. I don't like to see a dog actively push for more then 30 to 40 minutes without seeing a puppy. The fact that she has passed fetal membranes and she has not had a puppy is even more concerning.
It may be that she has uterine inertia due to low blood levels of calcium or oxytocin and some injections can get her back on track if given within a limited time frame. More likely though is that she has a puppy that is either too large or malpositioned to move through her birth canal. She may need a caesarian section to save her life and her puppies.
I do not recommend waiting any longer to have her examined. I understand that you will need to find an emergency clinic. Here is a link to help you find one if you aren't sure how to find one near you. Make sure to pick the Pet Emergency search:
http://www.vetlocator.com/index.php
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Catie. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara