How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 19122
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate about a quarter of an oatmeal raisin cookie. There

Customer Question

My dog ate about a quarter of an oatmeal raisin cookie. There were probably two raisins, that were very small in the piece. I have an 8 1/2-year-old French bulldog. He is 27 pounds. Do I need to take him to emergency
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello again and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. Good news, just two raisins will not be toxic to a 27 pound dog, there is no need for you to do anything in this sort of situation, this is not going to affect him. He should be just fine ... 2. The reason I say this is that while raisins can be a significant toxin to dogs the lowest documented toxic raisin dose in the dog I can find is 0.1 oz per kg of the dogs body weight.3. A 27 pound dog weighs 12.27 kg so you would only be worried if it ate 1.3 ozs or more of raisins and there are on average around 25 raisins per ounce which works out 32 raisins in your case. From this you can see that most dogs that suffer raisin related problems have eaten very much larger amounts than your one did. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you sooo much!!!
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
No problem, very glad to have advised you...
Kindest regards, *****
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the raisins incident
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Scott Nimmo

Related Dog Veterinary Questions