Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 5 pound dog ate 1000 mu of d3 Should I be worried ?

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- To make sure I got the measurement correct, it was 1,000 IU, correct?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, I see you have gone offline. I will be opting out in case you return another expert can help you. I am going offline.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome.My name is***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction. 1. The maximum safe level of vitamin D for a dog is 10000 IU/kg { not mu } 1 kg = 2.2 pounds. Please check your vitamin bottle and confirm this is IU in your case and get back to me if necessary. 2. From the above the maximum safe dose for your dog will be 2.27 kg { 5 pounds } x 10,000 = 20, 270 IU So if your dog only swallowed 1000 IU then it should be just fine, no cause for concern ...I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the vitamin D incident.
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.