Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

My dog got stung by an insect. Her face and neck are swollen

Customer Question

My dog got stung by an insect. Her face and neck are swollen and the spot where she apparently got stung is bleeding. Is it safe to give her Zyrtec or dimatapp to deal with her reaction? We've given her Zyrtec before to deal with her allergies with no adverse reaction
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name is***** will try to help.
You can try the zyrtec. But benadryl usually works better for an insect sting. The dose for benadryl is 1 mg of benadryl, per each pound of dog, every 8-12 hours as needed.
Do not give her any Dimatap. It has a nasal decongestant in it which can cause an increase in her blood pressure.
I would wash the affected area with an antibacterial hand soap, or 3% hydrogen peroxide, and then rinse well with water.
Then hold an ice pack wrapped in a towel on the affected area for 20 minutes every hour until bedtime.
How does that sound? Do you have any additional questions?