Both of these medications have the potential for causing issues with organ function so if you are not sure it would be best to consider the er tonight.
The dose usually given to dogs for macrobid is 2mg/pound. Because the drug is rapidly absorbed and excreted, patients with normal renal function should require little therapy when mild overdoses occur. You may see a few episodes of vomiting and diarrhea.
In severe overdoses there is a possibility of damage to the liver, destruction of red blood cells, and respiratory problems. However these possible side effects are believed to occur very rarely in animals. Monitoring for signs of lethargy, trouble breathing, and decreased appetite.
Phenoazophyridine can cause liver and/or kidney problems. Ingestion can also cause vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and increased respiratory rate (panting), and ataxia (walking
like he's a bit drunk). Treatment for an overdose would be IV fluids, cimetidine (to protect the stomach
), and monitoring liver and kidney values (and treating symptomatically if they are elevated).
I hope this information is helpful but please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I would err on the side of caution and have her seen tonight to ensure her kidney and liver function is not affected and further therapy is not necessary.
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!