helperDVM
helperDVM, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal and exotics veterinarian.
76789122

I have just acquired a 2yr. old female dachshund. My biggest

Customer Question

I have just acquired a 2yr. old female dachshund. My biggest problem is that she is distrustful of everyone else in the family. And once I get up, she glues herself to me and barks and grows at everything else. I have very limited mobility and chronic pain so just basic obedience training is something I can't do every day. I am not sure where she grew up.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her name is Precious. We also have a 12 year old poodle and Precious tried to stop her from getting attention to. Precious also barks at the TV when animals are on the screen.
Expert:  helperDVM replied 1 year ago.
I have 2 doxies myself - they are very territorial. One of the best things you can do to help Precious see that the others in the family are ok is to step back from being her sole caretaker. It's common to just go "oh she doesn't like you - I'll feed her" it's a natural instinct! There are a few steps that you can take to help her begin to trust them.
The first is step her food bowl. When I first received my little dapple doxie she was 7 years old and lived in horrible conditions!! She could not stand my husband. My little girl's food bowl next to my husband's chair. He is the one that feeds her. That is the second step. Once she sees the other family members contribute to her in a way that all doxies understand (FOOD) she will become more trusting of them. For the first week or so allow the food bowl to sit next to her least favorite person. Have them feed her a few pieces at a time, into the bowl. After that they can try feeding her by hand. The catch is you also need to be near the food bowl but totally ignoring what is going on. It takes time to do but it works! It's easy for people to forget that Doxies were actually working dogs - they learn quickly they are just very willful but the way to their heart is certainly their stomach!! Do be careful with extra treats doxies as they are also very good at gaining weight.
One more hint when she glues herself to you it's ok to relocate her onto the floor and right then have another family member give her a treat. Some people get worried that it will ruin their relationship with their doxie but it will not - I promise. It's just showing her that good things come from other family members too!
The spanking will give her a negative association with interacting with them. Instead have them say "good girl" and encourage her when she eats from her bowl near them and reward her with more of her food.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank You for the advice. I will give it a try. It sounds like it should work.
Expert:  helperDVM replied 1 year ago.
No problem - If you're satisfied please rate me. Please keep in touch and let me know how it's going!! :)
Expert:  helperDVM replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jeff,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Expert:  helperDVM replied 1 year ago.
Please rate my response if you are satisfied so that I can be compensated for my time.