Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I took my dog to the vet a couple days ago. She had matted

Customer Question

I took my dog to the vet a couple days ago. She had matted fur around her vaginal area that the groomer wouldn't clip. After the vet clipped her she seemed iritated. She butt scoots and refuses to go to the bathroom outside. I'm scared that there's something bigger wrong.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Did the vet check her anal glands?
Does the skin around the vulva or rectum look red or irritated? Any swelling or sores?
What allergy medicine are you giving? How much and how much does she weigh?
How often?
What cream are you using?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She went back to the vet yesterday and he gave her a cortisone shot. It looks red to me but he didn't seem to find anything wrong with it. Her anus seems normal in color to me. The cream is an over the counter anti itch cream and I've been giving her half of a benedryll tablet. She weighs about 23 lbs.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Just further to your additional history, can you tell me if she is urinating normally?
Any dribbling or passing frequent small amounts of urine?
Any straining to urinate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not before she got clipped. Yesterday was the first time she has ever pottied in the house.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again,
First, I would note that at her age, her signs are not suggestive of anything sinister. The only caveat to this is that if her irritation isn't settling, we'd want to double check there is nothing continuing to irritate the skin. In that vein, we'd want to make sure she has no urinary issues (ie infection, urine crystals), that her anal glands are empty, and that she hasn't had any diet changes (since we can see skin allergies effect just this region).
With those all in mind, I do want to note that the cortisone is a very common and effective treatment for skin irritation/inflammation. It will help if this is just a result of razor burn or allergies. So, we do want to let that have a chance to get into her system and help soothe her skin.
That said, if her anal glands were not checked and she is scooting, then it'd be ideal to get those checked to make sure we can rule them out as a cause. Otherwise, while it is possible to see urinary accidents secondary to vulva irritation, we need to tread with care. Therefore, if you think there was anything odd about that accident (ie odor, color, volume), then it'd be ideal to consider collecting a urine sample for testing. You can submit this to her vet and they can analyze the sample to determine if there are bacteria and white blood cells present (signs of infection), and rule out other issues like crystals, and just make sure there is no glucose (a marker of diabetes) or abnormal dilution of her urine. This is a good non-invasive and inexpensive test that can just let you check that her signs aren't due to a urinary irritation that may need to be addressed to stop this vicious cycle.
Further to your irritation treatment while waiting for the cortisone to reach peak effect, I would note that you can consider continuing the Benadryl but do note that it needs to be given every 8-12 hours to maintain its effects. Furthermore, you are giving a low dose, so you could try her with one tablet every 8 hours as long as she is not overly drowsy. And instead of an anti-itch cream, you could consider using a hydrocortisone cream as this is better for reducing inflammation in irritated skin.
Overall, we have a chick and egg situation here with Genie. It is possible clipper rash is causing all her signs. But if she isn't settling, even with cortisone, then we'd need to make sure there is nothing else continuing to trigger these signs like urinary infections or anal gland issues. So, do use the above supportive care, try a higher and more regular dose of Benadryl, but also have a urine sample checked at this stage +/- her anal glands expressed to make sure you are covering all bases and can get her settled sooner.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )