Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is acting strange and I'm scared . :( she's ho

Customer Question

My dog is acting strange and I'm scared for her. :( she's hokd her mouth partially open with her tongue partially out, looks like she's about to sneeze. Then licking tip of nose and the back to mouth open about to sneeze. I see tip of he nose teitching
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for typos was frantic. She's holding mouth partially open, nose twitching and looks like she wants to sneeze. Then licking nose repeatedly as if there is drainage or leaking from nose but I can't see, appears to be clear and watery consistency. Seems like she can't breath through nose and is forced to breath through her mouth. Some wheezing and gurgling sounds occasionally as well as a few good belches. She's alert and responsive but seems miserable, help me help her. :(
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. My first impression is that you were seeing a flehmen response. Please see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flehmen_response and let me know if that sounds reasonable. If not, and her behavior has persisted, I would appreciate your videoing it so I could be more accurate for you. Partial seizures (previously called petit mal) and gastroesophageal reflux (acid reflux, heartburn) come to mind as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After spending more time observing her, we were up all night... She is completely congested and can not breathe in or out of her nose. She's sleeping now and I can hear how stuffed up she is been she's breathing. When she's awake, she is constantly licking her nose because it is running. Only clear watery discharge that I see. Allergies? Infection? Foxtail lodged? What should I do? I gave her small doze of benadryl at 2am and it seemed to help her slightly.
Thank you for the additional information. That certainly is an easier etiology to understand. If you live west of the Mississippi, by all means have Lily's nose scoped under sedation for a foxtail. The nose "twitching" is pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of a plant awn having found its way up into her nostril(s).
I work in California and have extensive experience with these plant awns. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Hi Deee,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lily. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's doing much better. Took her to the vet Friday morning. She put her under to get a closer look up her nose, didn't find anything lodged which was good. She has a sinus infection, lots of green icky backed up in her nasal cavity. She got a full tune up while she was out, teeth cleaning, nails clipped etc. she's been sleeping a lot last 2 days but antibiotics are helping and she's breathing much better! Thanks for checking in!
Dree
What a good update! Thank you for taking the time to let me know. It sounds like she got a 60,000 mile tune up!