Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a bichenpoo that's 5 months old. she started today

Customer Question

I have a bichenpoo that's 5 months old. she started today throwing up and had diahrhea. she is very warm to the touch and so is her nose. she had her first vaccinations on 1/6 for the parvovirus and distemperment type 2 parainfluenza and had the 2nd booster on 4/14. she went this last sunday to petco and had her rabies shots and they also gave her another shot of dhp parvo vaccine. she is also shaking as well. what can i do to relieve her fever
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
How long has she been showing signs?
What is she bringing up in her vomit?
What does the diarrhea look like?
Can she keep water down?
Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?
If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?
Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you for your reply back. not sure what was in the vomit, wasn't home when she threw up. stomache is fine, gums are ok. she is doing much better today, running around and tail wagging. not sure if it was just a reaction to the shots she received on sunday
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you,
I am glad to hear that Bella is feeling better already and that you are seeing none of those more worrying signs I asked about. Now it probably wasn't a direct reaction to the vaccine but instead its quite possible that she may have been carrying a GI bug asymptomatically prior to vaccination. Often they will be subclinically fighting off bugs (since they have a naive immune system and a habit of putting everything in their mouths and thus frequently introducing immune challenges for the immune system) unbeknowst to us. But when we administer a vaccine on top of that the immune system gets a little bombarded and we can see that GI bug get ahold.
In this instance, since she is settling, we can consider some supportive care to help her immune system continue to get over this. To start, you can consider putting her on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be boiled chicken with rice, boiled white fish with rice, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), or cottage cheese with rice. There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases of gastroenteritis (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). The easily digestible diet will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut and should get some nutrients in and result in less nausea and diarrhea. You can also feed this as small frequent meals to further decrease the volume of diarrhea she is producing. I usually advise that the diet be continued until the vomiting is settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet over a week.
Since Gi issues can quickly dehydrate a young dog, so we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check her hydration status to make sure they are not becoming dehydrated there are a few things we can test. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether the pet has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, since she is so young, then you do want to have her seen by the vet before this becomes an additional issue for her (since it is often the dehydration that starts to tap their energy level and depresses them)
If you are concerned that she is becoming dehydrated, you can try and encourage her to drink but offering fresh water or even low-sodium chicken broth. If she isn’t amenable to these and hasn't had any more vomiting, you can syringe feed her pedialyte. Pedialyte is nice (though aim for a flavorless one) because it will get some of those lost electrolytes back into her as well. A typical maintenance rate for hydration in an animal is 48mls per kilogram of weight a day. If you do give syringe pedialyte, this should obviously be divided up into multiple offerings through the day rather then all at once. This value will give you the total she needs for the day and is a good starting point to give you an idea of her daily requirement. (we aren’t calculating losses, so you can add an equivalent volume to match how much diarrhea she is producing). If she vomits when you have given pedialyte, then therapy should be discontinued (since we don’t want vomiting because of our intervention).
So, it does sound like she has had a probably flare up of a GI bug but is getting over it already. So, we can use the above to continue to help her to do so. Of course, if she doesn't settle or keeps vomiting, then we'd want to consider getting the vet involved (since she is young and won't have the same body resources as an adult). You might consider submitting a fecal sample for assessment. The vet will also be able to provide antibiotics if necessary and puppy safe anti-nausea and anti-diarrhea medication (ie Kaolin, Protexin, etc) to slow the diarrhea while clearing the infection.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Brenda,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?

nekovet