Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 18 month old Sheltie (12 pounds, 12.5 inches tall at the

Customer Question

my 18 month old Sheltie (12 pounds, 12.5 inches tall at the withers) has a temp of 98.8 degrees. he is a little disoriented (head swaying slightly). His gums are real pink but the response time is about 1-1.5 seconds. He did vomit a little around 7 this evening. Any ideas?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. A body temperature of 98.8F is low but can appear if the thermometer ended up inside feces. Have you rechecked the temperature? His head swaying and vomiting are important symptoms but aren't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder. I would consider an intoxication with a recreational or prescription drug or other chemical in such a young dog but too many metabolic disorders to list in the venue can manifest as you've described.
May I have an update on Mouse, please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mouse's temp. is normal this morning 101.2. We do not have "recreational" drugs in my house! and all other drugs are in the bathroom the dogs are not allowed. They do not have access to that end of the house. I took him to the ER vet.
Thank you for your opinion but it was too late and not helpful in a timely manner. This is the first time I have used this service and won't use it again.
I understand.
You may receive an inappropriate follow up sent by the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.
Hi Denise,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mouse. How is everything going?