Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

Our Boston Terrier was out in the backyard and came in with

Customer Question

Our Boston Terrier was out in the backyard and came in with a swollen left leg from the knee down. It is really swollen. No fever. She has seen 2 vets and they are dumbfounded. She was on Clavamox for 14 days and no change. It doesn't seem to bother her, but I am getting worried.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.
Hello there. I am sorry to hear about your girl and her leg. I am happy to help you this evening. I hope the two vets have taken an x ray of her leg to make sure there is nothing obvious in the x ray that would indicate why it is swollen like that. But since its not painful that is a good indication that it isn't a serious injury but you still want to make sure on x ray that the bones are normal and everything. Also if she hasn't going on anti-inflammatories then that would be the next thing to try such as rimadyl or even a steroid like prednisone. Could be cellulitis that occurred if she got stung or hit her leg and set off the cellulitis. I would recommend warm compresses instead of cold compresses if it is cellulitis or lymphadenopathy (collection of lymph tissue) this will help reduce and distribute it. So i would recommend x rays if not done, blood work to look for signs of infection or inflammation and to get her on a anti-inflammatory for a week or two to see if this changes the swelling. Also going to a warm compress can help reduce swelling like this. If no improvement or worsens I would ask for a referral to a specialist to take a look at her and even do an ultrasound of the leg to see if there is any indication of a vascular or lymph problem.
I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much. I took her to a different vet yesterday. She said it was a mass tumor. So she has cancer. All I can do is pray and give her all the love that I have. Thanks again.
I am sorry to hear that she is lucky to have so much love though.