Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a 9 year old Great Dane who just had surgery about a month and a half ago

Customer Question

I have a 9 year old Great Dane who just had surgery for bloat about a month and a half ago. Today, she's been panting a lot. Other than that, she seems fine. Should I be concerned?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
2- Any other symptoms?
3- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?
4- Can you take her rectal temperature?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No nausea, diarrhea or vomiting. Gums are pink. Unable to take rectal temp.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No other symtoms. She seems fine other than that and not really eating her dog food. She ate some treats and some crackers but other than that... nothing.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, panting is a very non specific symptom and can be related to many different medical conditions, it could even be normal if it is warm. I don't believe you need to worry about the GDV surgery she had. I would keep an eye on her for tonight, if she continues to pant by tomorrow I would have her checked by family veterinarian for a hands on examination. Conditions that need to be ruled out are: A fever, infection, cardiovascular disease, neuromuscular pain, etc. to name a few causes.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter