Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a puggle. She is 8 yrs old and very overweight.

Customer Question

Hi. I have a puggle. She is 8 yrs old and very overweight. She weighs approximately 58 lbs. She somehow got into my bottle of kdur. They were 20 meq. I do not know how many pills were in the bottle bc it was an old prescription. But they are all gone now. I just noticed so it must have been within the last 30 min.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Puggle. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
Can you guess how many she got? How many were in the bottle when it was full would be a good place to start.
GIve me a moment to do some math and research.
I am not sure this is enough to worry about until I do my research and math, but you could try to induce vomiting by giving her 1/2 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide in some milk or ice cream. Or, just wait until I do my checking.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If I had to guess, I would say that the bottle was at least half full. Each pill was 20 meq.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
OK. She would have to get at least 527 meq for us to worry about an overdose. That would be at least 26 pills, if they were 29 meq.
So if you think she got a lot more than 26 pills, I would induce vomiting.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
How many pills were in the bottle when it was full?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was on it twice a day for a month so there would have been 60 pills total. But it was around half way full. So It could be around 20-30 pills total

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Then that would be at the low end of a toxic dose. She is 26 kilograms. If she got 30 pills, that would be 600 meq.
We calculate toxicity in meq per kg, so she got 23 meq per kilogram of body weight.
Dogs given 20 to 25 meq per kilogram have little or no change in their body potassium levels or any clinical signs of illness. At 23 meq per kg, she is in that range, so she should be OK.
My drug resources say "it is pretty tough to overdose a dog on oral potassium; they just pee out the extra".
If she were mine, I would not induce vomiting, for this dose.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
How is she doing? Can I help with or answer anything else?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry. She is doing okay. No real change in her normal activity. Thank you!!!

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome! Let me know what else I can help with or answer. From what I read, she should be fine.
Kindly consider rating my answer if all your questions are answered. Let me know how she is doing.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
How is your Puggle?