Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My 14 year old dog lately has been urinating in the house constantly

Customer Question

my 14 year old dog lately has been urinating in the house constantly no matter how many times we walk her - then she will drink up the urine and proceed to do the process over and over again. we walk her 5 to 6 times a day. and as soon as we come back into the home she will urinate again.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.
This sounds quite concerning for Mamma. Any time we have a dog who suddenly has this inappropriate urination behavior, I recommend we give her the benefit of the doubt. She could have a serious medical problem that is leading her to either have bladder/urethral inflammation and urgency to go OR she has too much urine being produced and needs to go all the time.
The top medical causes of this might include a severe urinary tract infection (bladder and/or kidney), bladder/kidney stones, kidney or liver failure, diabetes, or another endocrine disease such as Cushing's syndrome or cancer.
The absolute best next step for Mamma is to take her in as soon as possible to see her veterinarian. She needs a complete examination followed by some testing to narrow down the list of possibilities. This testing might include lab work (CBC, chemistry profile, urinalysis +/- urine culture and thyroid screening). After this if nothing is found then X-rays are indicated to search for bladder/kidney stones and tumors (cancer screening).
Our hope can be she has a simple urinary tract infection as is common in our older dogs that can be cleared with an antibiotic. I wish I had an easy at-home solution but there is not much you can do. I do not recommend withholding water because if she has a medical condition which is making her clinically dehydrated like kidney/liver disease then this could make her very sick to withhold water.
I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hi Stephaine,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mamma. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey