Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Does a meibomian gland adenoma bleed?

Customer Question

Hi does a meibomian gland adenoma bleed?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your fellow has an eyelid mass that is bleeding.
The most common type of mass found on eyelids is a meibomian gland adenoma. These are generally benign tumors, meaning that they don't spread deep into surrounding tissue and to distant sites. But they do easily bleed if they are rubbed or bumped as they are fragile tumors and being on the eyelid, where there is an excellent blood supply, they can bleed quite a bit.
They don't have to be removed if they aren't bothering the pup but I usually recommend that they are removed. That's because they will continue to grow, disfiguring the eyelid and rubbing on the cornea (clear outer part of the eye), and if they get very large and a large portion of the eyelid needs to be removed the remaining eyelid may not cover the eye or function properly. Of course if they are raw enough to bleed a secondary bacterial infection can be introduced too.
For now I recommend a warm compress to remove any debris, flush the eye gently with sterile saline, and apply gel based artificial tears to the eye to protect it and the mass to keep it soft and protected.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara