Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years of veterinary practice in small animal medicine
18324312

I have a cute dog de bordeoux 7 months puppy. though

Customer Question

hi
I have a cute dog de bordeoux 7 months puppy.
though drooling is one of the breeds features it is disturbing.
the vet suggessted surgery to remove a v shaped excess of skin from the sides of the lower lip so the saliva will be able to stay more in the mouth rater than dropping.
do you have experience with such intervention? pitfalls and dangers.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
I understand your concern with having a surgery performed to help stop drooling. Does your pup get infections in the folds of skin that are to be removed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no infections

but a lot of drooling

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
Okay, thank you. Are the areas at the corners of his mouth constantly wet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

not constantly

but after drinking or expecting food he drools

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. Certain dogs are what is known as "wet mouthed". It sounds like you've got one of them. I've been a veterinarian a very long time (40 years) and I've never seen this surgery done in an effort to prevent drooling.
Lip fold pyoderma (bacterial skin infection of the folded skin) is a condition that may result from excessive moisture accumulating in the folds of skin at the corners of the mouth, and in severe cases, the elimination of the folds may be helpful in preventing the accumulation of moisture from encouraging bacterial growth. It is possible your veterinarian has had previous successes using this approach in treating drooling, and I would definitely ask them about whether they've seen a resolution of excessive drooling after this surgery.
Personally, the approach I would try in one of my patients, before resorting to surgery, would be to give an antihistamine like Benedryl (1 mg per pound three times daily). Benedryl is very safe and has a useful side effect in causing the mouth to be somewhat drier. This treatment alone may be enough to allow you to live with your little drooler, and long-term use should cause no problems at all, even on a daily basis.
Ask you veterinarian what alternatives to surgery they might recommend. If you should have further questions, I'll be happy to answer them for you.
Kind regards, *****